In January of 1925, a small band of baptized believers decided to come together and conduct a praise and prayer service with the Rev. W. E. Jones as their leader. They met regularly and a mission of the Baptist Church was then in progress. This mission was located on Home Avenue and Hawthorne Street. This site served as a place of worship until the mission was moved to a more favorable site on South Summit Street, still under the leadership of the Rev. W. E. Jones.
In March of 1925, at the invitation of Rev. W. E. Jones, a council met to organize a church. The Rev. G.H. Price, Pastor of the New Era Baptist Church, Middletown, Ohio served as moderator. The newly formed church adopted the name “Mount Enon Missionary Baptist Church.” In need of a pastor, the congregation engaged the services of the Reverend W. W. Jones who served until July of 1925.
Upon the departure of Rev. W. E. Jones, the congregation was led by the Rev. Hosea Moragne. A short time later, a recommendation was made by Rev. Moragne to extend the pastorate to Rev. David Revere. Rev. Revere was a firm believer in Baptist principles and accepted the calling to pastor the Mount Enon Missionary Baptist Church.
In March of 1930, the leadership of the church was passed on to Rev. Joel L. Mundy, a strong leader who believed that through God all things were possible. With the combination of inner faith and outer thrust, two elements needed to attain success, the congregation proceeded to raise funds to pay for their newly acquired church home at College Street and Mercer Avenue. So great was the response, that on the day of occupancy, Sunday, October 26, 1947, the total amount of $45,000 was paid. The church membership continued to grow and the need for more space prompted the installation of a balcony. Under the pastorate of Rev. Mundy, Mount Enon grew from 27 active members to over 2,000. Then ill-health overtook Rev. Mundy and he was called home to be with the Lord on Monday, October 2, 1950.
Upon the passing of Rev. Mundy, the church appointed Rev. R. R. Hagans as pastor. Rev. Hagans, a devoted leader, served as pastor and undertook the beautification of the church.
In August of 1953, Rev. Thomas D. Howard was called to serve as the pastor of the Mount Enon Missionary Baptist Church. Under Rev. T. D. Howard’s leadership, there was continued growth in the church membership. Many new programs and circles were introduced. Rev. T. D. Howard was always observing the congregation to see how he could enhance their knowledge concerning the Word of God. He was the pastor of all, but it seemed that God gave him a special love for the youth and seniors of the church. Much was accomplished under his leadership.
On May 30, 1976, God once again looked upon Mount Enon and saw the need for Christian growth, new energy, encouragement, and love. Our prayers were answered when God sent Rev. John F. Cunningham. Under the leadership of Rev. John F. Cunningham, Mount Enon achieved things that were never thought possible. Pastor Cunningham passed into eternity on Saturday, July 30, 2005.
After eighteen months without a shepherd, Rev. Dr. Harold Cottom, III became the leader of the Mount Enon Missionary Baptist Church and served for three years.
On February 24, 2012, God spoke to the congregation of the Mount Enon Missionary Baptist Church in Dayton, OH to elect Pastor Cory J. Pruitt to be their Pastor. Pastor Cory J. Pruitt accepted the call from God and became the eighth Pastor of the Mount Enon Missionary Baptist Church. There has been significant growth in membership, in the preaching and teaching of the word of God, and expansion of ministries. In obedience to the Holy Spirit, Pastor Pruitt will continue to carry out the vision given to him by God to lead the church to continue to build a healthy church to serve an unhealthy society.